Baked Ham and Cheese Pasta Casserole
Rich, creamy, and delicious! This Baked Ham and Cheese Pasta Casserole is served up hot and cheesy in every bite. Loaded with ham, two kinds of cheese and a parmesan crust that is sensational.
When it comes to needing quick and delicious family friendly meals one dish meals are such a great option. This Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole takes minutes to make and perfect for a busy weeknight. If you are looking for something for Saturday or Sunday mornings this fun Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a great option. And for a family pot luck or get together this Easy Tuna Noodle Casserole is always a crowd pleaser.
Baked Ham and Cheese Casserole
This Baked Ham and Cheese Casserole has all the makings of creamy and hearty goodness. Cubed pieces of ham mixed in with Monterey and cheddar cheeses and topped with a seasoned parmesan bread crumb mixture is a fast and delicious comfort meal any night of the week. The key to such a fast and simple recipe begins with using ready baked pasta, no boiling required. This allows you to have dinner on the table quickly and spend less time in the kitchen.
Now I am sure you are thinking, “this is made in a skillet, not a casserole dish.” Yes, that is true. I switched it up for this recipe and it turned out amazing. You can absolutley make it in a casserole dish if that is what you have on hand or like, but either way it will be rich, creamy, and savory. Using ready serve pasta is such a time saver. All you have to do is heat them in the microwave for 60 seconds and your noodles are ready to go. I used Barilla ready serve penne pasta and it worked great.
Do I need a casserole dish?
- No. A casserole are usually made in a dish that can sustain the temperatures in an oven, so any dish used needs to be oven safe.
- Their are no restrictions on what type of dishes you choose to use for making a casserole as long as it can be put into the oven.
- Depending on what type of dish you go with, you may have to adjust the recipe a bit, but other than that the choice of dish you use is yours.
What ingredients are in a casserole?
- Heavy cream
- Cream of mushroom, chicken soup
How do I make a casserole?
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Pour in milk and heavy cream and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and mix in cheeses until melted. Pour in ham and cooked pasta and mix.
- Transfer to a lightly greased skillet. In small mixing bowl combine seasoned bread crumbs, dried parsley, grated parmesan cheese and melted butter. Sprinkle over casserole and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let sit a few minutes and serve warm.
What size casserole dish do you use?
- If you are not using a skillet you can use a 9×13 casserole dish. Remember a casserole dish glass or porcelain, not a casserole pan which is dark and metal based.
- You can use a smaller 8×8 or 9×9 square dish, but you will have to adjust your cooking time to a bit longer to fully heat all the way through. If using this smaller type of casserole dish, I would recommend putting the parmesan topping on halfway through your cooking time so it doesn’t burn.
Are you looking for more comfort food ideas?
- Easy Chicken and Waffles
- Cheese Ravioli Skillet
- Avocado Toast with Egg
- Cheesy Parmesan Chicken Garlic Bread
- Parmesan Garlic Butter Noodles
Baked Ham and Cheese Pasta Casserole
- 2-1/2 cups Penne Ready serve pasta cooked according to package directions.
- 3 tbsp butter melted butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1-1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups fully cooked ham cubed
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp butter melted