Easy Chicken and Waffles
Easy Chicken and Waffles begins and ends with crispy fried chicken and stacks of homemade buttery waffles topped with as much syrup as you can handle.
When it comes to comfort food there is never enough meals in the day to eat them all, but if you love yourself some good comfort food you should also try Chocolate Gravy and Biscuits, it is pure deliciousness in every chocolate bite. Another favorite is Hamburger Steak. It has so much flavor and is so simple to make you will want to add it to your recipe repertoire, or another family favorite is this Creamy Parmesan Chicken Ritz Casserole. You can’t go wrong with any of these amazing comfort foods!
Chicken and Waffles
Are there some foods that confuse you on which meal you should be eating them? I know for me, breakfast is one of those meals that is spot on morning, noon or night. These Easy Chicken and Waffles will be one of those recipes that may cause a little meal appropriate confusion, but lets just say “who cares!” Chicken and waffles with warm melted butter, and thick succulent syrup is breakfast, lunch, and dinner appropriate.
Ok, let me be honest I don’t think I have ever had fried chicken for breakfast, but served along side buttery rich waffles dripping with syrup, I think I can make an exception. This Chicken and Waffles recipe starts by using thin cut boneless skinless chicken breast making them faster to fry than traditional chicken breast that are thicker cut. The breading is made up of a simple seasoned mixture to coat and fry the chicken in.
What is Chicken and Waffles?
- Chicken and Waffles is an American cuisine. It is said to have originated in Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine and the fried chicken adds to the soul food version of chicken and waffles.
- The only necessary condiments to serve with chicken and waffles is butter and syrup.
- Another version is stewed chicken with gravy over waffles.
How do you serve Chicken and Waffles?
This is up to you, but traditionally it is served with the chicken stacked on top of the waffles with a large dousing of syrup over both the fried chicken and waffles.
Can’t you just taste all that warm creamy delectable syrup drizzling down these fluffy golden waffles and crispy fried chicken? Get a fork my friends because this recipe is no joke. It’s breakfast, lunch and dinner all dished up in one amazing meal.
What do you need to bread chicken?
- Begin by arranging three large sized plastic containers about 2 inches deep (deeper is ok too) on your counter.
- In the first container add cornstarch. In the second container add one egg and buttermilk and whisk together. In the third container add flour, garlic salt, paprika, pepper, cayenne pepper, chili pepper, baking powder, garlic powder, mix then and 1/3 cup buttermilk mixing until crumbles form.
- One chicken breast at a time dip in the cornstarch, then the egg/buttermilk mixture, then into the flour mixture. Set on a baking sheet until ready to fry.
How do you pan fry breaded chicken?
- Using a large heavy skillet add enough oil to cover chicken, at least 2 inches deep. Heat oil over medium heat.
- Place one or two pieces of breaded chicken into the hot depending on how large your chicken is and fry approximately 5 minutes on each side until golden brown and chicken is cooked through.
How do you dispose of used frying oil?
- You can pour the used oil into a milk carton and dispose of it in the trash.
- The oil can also be put into a non-recyclable container and placed into the garbage.
If you are looking for more delicious comfort food recipes, You’ll love these?
- Creamy Bacon Macaroni and Cheese
- Cheese Ravioli Skillet
- The Best Skillet Cornbread
- The Best Chicken Fried Steak and Gravy
Easy Chicken and Waffles
For the Chicken:
- 4 thin sliced boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2-1/2 cups peanut oil or frying oil of choice
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk divided
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Waffles:
- 2 cups bisquick mix
- 1-1/3 cups whole milk
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 bottle of favorite syrup warmed
- butter for waffles optional
Prepare three separate shallow containers. One with cornstarch, a second with egg and 2/3 cups buttermilk and whisk together, and third with flour, garlic salt, paprika, pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, baking powder, garlic powder. Stir in 1/3 cup buttermilk until crumbly. One chicken breast at a time dredge in the cornstarch, then the egg/buttermilk mixture, then into the flour mixture. Set on a baking sheet until ready to fry.
Heat a cast iron skillet with 2-1/2 cups peanut oil on high heat. One chicken breast at a time fry until golden brown on each side, about 5 minutes per side, flipping only once. Place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels until all chicken has been fried.
Mix all the waffle ingredients into a large bowl and pour into a lightly greased waffle iron. Cook until golden brown about 4 minutes. Remove and cut into 4 even waffles.
Place one piece of fried chicken on top of each waffle and pour warmed syrup over the top and serve.