The Best Slow Cooker Applesauce
This is The Best Slow Cooker Applesauce you will ever make. Made from beautiful Fuji and Macintosh apples, nestled in with apple cider, cinnamon, and light brown sugar this applesauce is an amazing side, or delicious snack.
I am a huge fan of the slow cooker, and if you like this Slow Cooker Applesauce recipe you should also try The Best Slow Cooker Ribs, they are fall off the bone sensational and would be amazing with the applesauce. If you are looking for a delicious party side these Slow Cooker Cranberry Meatballs will do the trick. Or if you are looking for something to warm the soul during the fall and winter you have to try the Slow Cooker Hot Apple Cider.
Slow Cooker Applesauce
This truly is the best applesauce made in a slow cooker. Built upon layers of apple cinnamon flavor and slow cooked to soften the apples just right. Applesauce makes a great side or accompaniment to so many meals. It add depth to pork chops and chicken, and can be baked into cakes and cookies. Freshly made warm right out of the slow cooker, this applesauce recipe is sensational in every bite. Growing up we had applesauce with almost every meal. My Grandma would make the best applesauce and freeze it so we never would run out, so it was often a staple on our dinner table. There is a huge difference between store bought and homemade applesauce. When you make applesauce in the slow cooker the apples give off such an amazing flavor and after cooking slowly with cinnamon sticks, apple cider mix, and brown sugar the texture has this creamy apple richness making the taste beyond addicting.
What are the best apples for applesauce?
- Not all apples are great for baking, but out of the apples that are good it really is up to you.
- Some apples are sweeter than other and some are bit more tart. So depending on the flavor you are going for you can choose sweet, tart, or a combination of both.
- Some of the sweeter apples are:
- Fuji, Golden Delicious, and Cortland
- Apples that are more tart are:
Can I freeze cooked applesauce?
- Yes! Begin by allowing the applesauce to cool. Then using airtight containers or sealable freezer bags pour equal amounts of applesauce in each one.
- Label the bags or containers so you know how long they have been in your freezer. Generally they will last up to 2 months.
How do you make homemade applesauce?
- Working with 20 apples, peel and cut into slices. Remove any seeds in the core.
- Place apples into a large mixing bowls and add lemon juice, apple cider mix, brown sugar, and apple cider juice. Mix well to combine.
- Pour apple mixture into a 6qt slow cooker and drop in cinnamon sticks. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Once done remove cinnamon sticks and using an immersion blender, hand mixer or potato masher, mash or blend until desired consistency. Serve warm or allow to cool to freeze.
What are the health benefits of apples?
Apples of filled with good antioxidants and rich in fiber.
The antioxidants in apples may help reduce the risk of certain diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure and may aid in helping to prevent dementia.
Apples contain powerful amounts of vitamin C and Vitamin B-complex.
What can you serve with Applesauce?
- Skillet Pork Chops
- Honey Garlic Bacon Wrapped Chicken Kabobs
- Baked Spaghetti
- Parmesan Chicken Meatball Skillet
- Easy Tuna Noodle Casserole
How much sugar is in applesauce?
Applesauce is made with sugar or with no sugar, so the number will vary.
This slow cooker applesauce recipe has 43 grams of sugar, with most of the sugar coming from the apples themselves.
You can omit the additional sugar by leaving out or cutting back on the brown sugar, and taking out the apple cider packet mix and introducing more cinnamon and nutmeg flavors.
This slow cooker applesauce recipe will be all you need for a simply delicious treat or make the perfect side to any meal.
Looking for more Slow Cooker Recipes?
The Best Slow Cooker Applesauce
- 20 apples I used fuji and McIntosh peeled, sliced, and seeds removed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1-1/2 tbsp apple cider packet mix
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider juice