Meatball pizza made in a cast iron skillet is deep dish at it’s best. A family friendly dinner loaded with meatballs and cheese, that is easy, fast, and fresh from your oven to the table in less than 20 minutes.
If you are having a fun family night or watching your favorite football team play you should also try making sausage and pepperoni pizza, Hawaiian pizza, or these cheesy crescent pizza rolls all quick and easy for any night of the week.
Cast iron skillet pizza is a delicious and easy way to make the perfect deep dish pizza, ready in under 20 minutes your family will love every cheesy and meatball bite of this homemade pizza. Making pizza’s at home are a fun way to spend time together as a family, piling on all your favorite toppings, and using store bought dough for this cast iron pizza will make the process faster and easier from start to finish.
Can you cook a pizza in a cast iron skillet?
Yes! It is very easy to do. Begin by preheating your oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray your skillet lightly with cooking spray and place your store bought dough over the top of the skillet, then roll the extra dough down and inward to create a thick deep dish crust.
- Cut several 1 inch slits into dough and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Add pizza sauce, minced garlic, cheese, onions, and meatballs and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh cut basil and red pepper flakes.
Can you use a cast iron skillet on a gas grill?
Yes. If you prefer to cook your pizza on a gas grill heat it to about 475 degrees. Lay your store bought dough or homemade dough over the skillet and fold the excess down to form a crust (see step 1). Make a few slits in the crust (see step 2) and place all your toppings on the pizza, cook for 10-12 minutes with the lid closed. Once the cheese is melted and bubbling and the crust is golden brown remove and slice into pieces.
What pizza toppings go well together?
- Pepperoni and mushroom
- Canadian bacon and pineapple
- Ground sausage (meat) and cheese
- Green pepper, onions, and olives
- Tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella
- Plain cheese
Can you buy pizza dough at the grocery store?
Yes. Often times your local grocery store will carry fresh pizza dough, so you can ask them where they keep it, or you can buy the Pillsbury pizza dough located in the refrigerated section by the cans of rolls and ready to cook cookie dough. For an even faster made pizza you can buy a a pre-made pizza crust such as Boboli.
How long is pizza good for?
If pizza is properly wrapped up either in foil or placed in an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator it can last up to 4 days. After four days you are at an increased risk of a food borne illness. If you leave your pizza sitting out at room temperature over night it should be disposed of and not consumed.
Are you hungry for more cheesy recipes?
- Cheesy skillet meatballs
- Cheesy chicken and rice casserole
- Cheesy pigs in a blanket
- Cheese ravioli skillet
- Cheesy parmesan chicken garlic bread
If you like this recipe follow and share:
- 1 container pizza dough or you can buy a12 inch prebaked pizza crust
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated pepper jack cheese
- 15 fully cooked frozen meatballs thawed and halved
- Fresh chopped basil
- Red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place crust over skillet and fold excess down and inward to form a deep-dish crust. Make a few 1 inch slits in bottom of dough and bake for 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and top with pizza sauce, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning. Spread evenly to coat. Add onion, meatballs, and top with cheeses. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove and slice and garnish with fresh cut basil and red pepper flakes.