Creamy Bacon Macaroni and Cheese
Creamy Bacon Macaroni and Cheese is all the comfort you will need this Fall. Packed full of 3 different of cheeses, chicken sausage, and thick hickory smoked bacon how can you go wrong.
Making macaroni and cheese just got crazy delicious. Growing up I LOVED macaroni and cheese, you know the kind with butter, powdered cheese and came in a box. I seriously thought that was the best mac and cheese ever, until now. This Creamy Bacon Macaroni and Cheese is creaminess on food steroids. It is hands down the best macaroni and cheese I have had and it is homemade and what is not to love when you add BACON. It may not be the traditional powdered cheddar mac and cheese we all know and love, but it is going to be a the new creamy love of your macaroni nights.
Besides adding thick pieces of bacon I cut up some chicken sausage and threw it into the creamy mix. This Creamy Bacon Macaroni and Cheese also has three amazing cheeses and one is a bacon white cheddar cheese that adds even more bacon flavor. I made my Creamy Bacon Macaroni and Cheese in a skillet, but you can use a casserole dish too. Either way it will take about 35 minutes and be worth every bite. The smell of this Creamy Bacon Macaroni Cheese baking is mouthwatering and the first spoonful of cheese, sausage, and bacon will be amazing.
- 1 1/2 lbs (1 box) of elbow pasta
- 1 package of pre-cooked chicken sausage
- 4 slices thick hickory smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups 2%milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar bacon cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Boil water for pasta and cook according to directions. In a skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and saute onions and red pepper.
- While water is boiling, make sauce. In a medium saucepan on medium heat, add butter and flour and whisk together to create a roux. Add milk and cream, stirring constantly. Add cheeses and pinch of nutmeg, stirring consistently for 5-8 minutes until mixture thickens.
- In a cast iron skillet or baking dish, layer half the pasta, chicken sausage, pepper and onion mixture, bacon, and half of the cheese sauce.
- Repeat all layers and top with the rest of the cheese sauce.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, garnish with parsley and enjoy.