BBQ Chicken and Mashed Potato Skillet
BBQ Chicken and Mashed Potato Skillet is topped with cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, bacon and chives and is drizzled with bbq sauce. Now this is what comfort food family meals are made of.
Comfort food is what truly puts a smile on our faces. If you love all things comfort food you will also love Creamy Bacon Macaroni and Cheese, Homemade Skillet Cornbread, and Crispy Baked Ranch Chicken.
BBQ Chicken and Mashed Potatoes
This BBQ Chicken and Mashed Potato Skillet has got to be added to your list of recipes to make. It is so easy and so delicious, your whole family will love it. One of the greatest things about comfort food is the happiness it brings when we are eating it. This skillet meal is topped off with cheese and bacon and is rich and creamy in every bite.
Comfort food not only puts smiles on our faces, but it also gives us a nostalgic feeling taking us back to a time of special importance. It may not be the exact meal you are eating, but something about comfort food brings back fun and special memories. This BBQ chicken and mashed potato skillet is full of amazing flavors. It is the kind of meal that will bring your whole family together for dinner.
How do you use a cast iron skillet for the first time?
- You want to season your skillet before you use it.
- Be sure to preheat your skillet on the stove before adding oil or food. You want it to heat up and then add oil and let it begin to smoke and then add your food.
- Make sure to clean it after each use. You should clean it while it is still warm, don’t let it cool and then clean it.
- Use warm water and soft sponge to clean. If you have stuck on food use some kosher salt and a stiff brush to clean and remove food.
- Don’t let it soak in water, and make sure to let it dry completely before putting it away.
How do you season a cast iron skillet?
- Clean skillet with warm soapy water then dry thoroughly.
- Place a thin layer of vegetable oil over skillet, on all sides.
- Place upside down on the middle rack of a preheated 375 degree oven. You will want to place some foil on the bottom of your oven to catch any drips.
- Bake for 1 hour and let cool in the oven.
Do I have to use BBQ chicken?
No. You can use shredded pork or beef if your family likes that better. We are big chicken eaters, so I used already cooked rotisserie chicken, pulled all the chicken off and shredded it with a fork. Then you can add your favorite BBQ sauce to the chicken and use it for this recipe. It makes it so quick, easy, and delicious.
Do I have to make homemade mashed potatoes?
No. Another quick tip I use for this recipe is using refrigerated mashed potatoes. All you have to do is warm them up in the microwave for a few minutes and presto, you have real real creamy mashed potatoes that you didn’t have to peel, boil, mash, and season.
Can I use a casserole dish instead of a cast iron skillet?
Yes. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet or are not familiar or comfortable cooking with one you can use a square or oval shaped casserole dish about 2 quart size.
If you and your family are in the mood for some delicious comfort food topped with melted cheese, crisp bacon and your favorite BBQ sauce, then this BBQ chicken and mashed potato skillet is calling your tastebuds.
Looking for more skillet meals?
- The Best Skillet Cornbread
- Creamy Italian Chicken Skillet
- Cheese Ravioli Skillet
- Cheesy Chili Dog Skillet
- Skillet Lasagna
BBQ Chicken and Mashed Potato Skillet
- 1-24 oz container mashed potatoes I used Bob Evans heated according to package directions.
- 2 cups shredded chicken I used a cooked rotisserie chicken and shredded the meat.
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 pieces of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- Additional BBQ sauce to drizzle over the top.
- 1 seeded and diced jalapeno