Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, and roasted peppers is the perfect combination for this Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwich that will take your tastebuds into overdrive.
If you love all things spicy you should also try these Buffalo Chicken Meatballs, Crispy Honey Sriracha Chicken made in a skillet and Jalapeno Mac and Cheese. All have a great flavor with a little kick.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Growing up Grilled Cheese Sandwiches were a staple in our house, especially on rainy days (which we had a lot of living in WA), but know matter how hard it was raining, windy, or cold outside, a grilled cheese sandwich always made life better. These days I have stepped up my Grilled Cheese making skills and added a little spice to my life. This Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwich not only has the comforts of fond, old memories, but it dressed up the classic sandwich in the most sensational way.
To put the spicy in this delicious grilled cheese I started by roasting some jalapeno peppers and some red peppers in the oven. This cooked the peppers just perfectly and infused a little heat along with the pepper jack cheese. I don’t know about you, but roasted vegetables are amazing and easy to do.
How do you roast peppers in the oven?
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a rimmed baking sheet lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, place peppers on the sheet and into oven.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and rotate peppers to the opposite side using tongs, then place back in the oven for 20 more minutes.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let cool enough that you can touch them. Peel off the skin and slice in half. Discard all the flesh and seeds on the inside and chop the peppers into small pieces to use.
What kind of cheese do I use for grilled cheese?
- Cheddar cheese ←
- Monterey jack cheese
- Swiss cheese
- Pepper jack cheese ←
- Havarti cheese
This recipe I use cheddar cheese and pepper jack cheese which gave it bit of the traditional grilled cheese feel with a spicy pepper jack flare. Really, most cheese that is melted on a crisp buttery piece of bread is going to be delicious.
What kind of bread do you use to make a grilled cheese sandwich?
- White bread
- Wheat bread
- Sourdough bread
- English muffins
- Ciabatta bread
What goes good with a grilled cheese sandwich?
How do you make a really good grilled cheese?
- Using your favorite kind of bread butter both sides of each slice of bread.
- Place 2 slices of pepper jack cheese on one slice of bread and 2 pieces of cheddar cheese on the other piece.
- Place the roasted pepper mixture on top of the pepper jack cheese and top with the cheddar slice of bread.
- In a skillet over medium heat melt one tablespoon of butter and add sandwich to the skillet. Cook until both sides are golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Slice on the diagonal and serve warm.
This Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwich will be an amazing and cheesy choice for you next taste of comfort
Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 8 slices Brioche bread or bread of choice
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 red peppers-roasted
- 2 jalapeno peppers-roasted
- 3 tbsp butter softened
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and place the red and jalapeno peppers on the sheet. Roast for 20 minutes; remove from the oven and flip peppers. Roast 20 more minutes then allow to cool enough that you can touch them. Peel the skin off, cut the peppers in half and discard seeds. Dice into small pieces and set aside.
For the Sandwich:
Butter both sides of each piece of bread using 2 tablespoons of butter. On four slices of bread add 2 slices of pepper jack cheese. On the other four slices add 2 slices of cheddar cheese. Top the pepper jack cheese with even amounts of pepper mixture and top with the cheddar cheese half.
Heat a skillet over medium heat; add the remaining tablespoon of butter and let melt. Place one or two sandwiches in the skillet at a time and grill 2 minutes or until golden brown then flip. Grill an additional 2 minutes. Slice the sandwiches on the diagonal and serve war.