Better Than Takeout Cashew Chicken
The heat, the sweet, the crunch, the munch is a perfect way to describe the most amazing Better Than Takeout Cashew Chicken. It’s ready in under 30 minutes and will knock your socks off with delicious flavor.
Take out, the easiest thing on the planet to run and get especially with all of us having busy lifestyles. Kids, jobs, unexpected circumstances, vacations, summer break, winter break, kids activities and the business of life goes on and on. So making dinner is the last thing on SO many of our minds. Well this Better Than TakeOut Cashew Chicken will bring dinner back into your homes. It is done in less than 30 minutes, is packed full of protein and veggies and taste truly “better than takeout!”
I made this Better Than TakeOut Cashew Chicken the other night for my family and my mom snuck in and starting eating it before I could even get the rice made to serve with it. She shyly said to me ” I have been eating this, it is so good I can’t stop!” Jackpot! Music to anyones ears who is cooking something new for a variety of different taste buds. As it is cooking is draws you in to this yummy wafting of sesame oil, honey and spicy chili sauce that is the core of this Better Than Take Out Cashew Chicken.
The lightly toasted cashews and subtle crunch from the veggies and the slightly caramelized coating of the chicken all paired up together is truly delicious. I served mine over rice with a little topping of the sauce (so make a little extra) and is was the perfect go to meal for everyone to enjoy, made in under 30 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1.5lbs chicken breast tenders, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup red bell peppers, diced small
- 1 cup shelled frozen edamame
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 cup salted or unsalted dry-roasted whole cashews
- THE SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili garlic sauce or paste (found in the Asian section of the grocery store)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup green onions, sliced
- Add cornstarch, salt, pepper, and chicken, to a large bowl, stir to coat chicken well
- To a large skillet, add the oils and chicken and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes over medium-high heat, flipping and stirring so all sides cook evenly, until chicken is cooked through
- Add the broccoli, bell peppers, edamame ( no need to unthaw) and garlic, stir to combine. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stir intermittently. While vegetables cook, make the sauce.
- To a medium bowl add the soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, chili-garlic sauce or paste and ginger and whisk to combine; set aside.
- Add the cashews to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add the sauce and stir to combine. Allow sauce to simmer over medium-low heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the green onions, stir and server over rice.