Easy Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole
Easy Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole has got you covered for a delicious and easy comfort meal for your family. Chicken, pasta, mushrooms, and cheese are the perfect combination your family will love.
If you love to make casseroles you should also try this Easy Tuna Noodle Casserole or Creamy Parmesan Chicken Ritz Casserole that is topped with a buttery ritz topping your kids will love. One of our family favorites is this Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, loaded with chicken and topped with biscuits.
Chicken Mushroom Casserole
This chicken mushroom casserole is the perfect mix of comfort food and life on the go. It is loaded with shredded chicken that has already been cooked, so no need to cook the chicken yourself. Then it’s mixed with sliced mushrooms, yummy broad pasta noodles, whole milk, and shredded mozzarella cheese. All cooked in one casserole dish that comes out hot and creamy. Perfect any night of the week and fast to prepare.
So now that school is officially back in session life should be much easier right? Wrong! I think life gets even crazier. So one small confession, I don’t have a child in school yet, but I come from a family who’s mom drove a million miles back and forth to school, practices of all sorts, friends houses, church activities and so on. So although I haven’t experienced the chauffeur life yet, I was heavily apart of it growing up and “what’s for dinner?” was a question I think my Mom got everyday.
So that is why making recipes that are simple to make, taste good, and won’t take all night to prepare are super important, and this Easy Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole will be on of those recipes to keep on hand.
What are the three main parts of a casserole?
- Part number one, a casserole contains some type of meat, wether its chicken, beef, pork, fish, etc.
- Number two, a casserole always has a base to it, which is what gives the casserole its flavor and texture.
- And lastly, it contains cheese in some form, cubed, grated, or shredded.
Now obviously casseroles can come in all types so the three main parts may be replaced with other things, but this chicken mushroom casserole hits all the parts and is sensational.
How do you make a chicken casserole?
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter and pour in flour. Whisk to combine and a crumble mixture forms. Slowly pour in chicken stock, milk, garlic salt, garlic pepper, and onion powder. Whisk to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer 10 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Add in cooked noodles, shredded chicken, and sliced mushrooms and stir. Pour into an oven safe casserole dish and top with grated cheese. Cook covered 20 minutes then uncover and top with panko crumbs and butter mixture and cook 10 more minutes. Serve warm with sliced french bread.
Tips for making Chicken Mushroom Casserole:
- Make sure to cook noodles about 3 minutes less than required cooking time to prevent them from getting mushy in the casserole.
- To make life much easier, buy a rotisserie chicken and shred the meat for the casserole or you can buy pre-packed all natural shredded chicken, I like to use Archer Farms.
- You can use shredded cheese from the package to save on more time, but I would definitely try and grate your own cheese. It will melt much better and be a lot creamier.
- If you want to lighten it up a bit you can use 1% milk and just add 3/4 cup flour so it isn’t runny, and you can omit the panko bread crumb topping.
Are looking for more casserole recipes?
If you like this recipe, please follow me and pin this recipe:
Easy Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole
- 4 cups extra broad noodles cooked
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken I used Archer Farms shredded chicken
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp garlic pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Fresh parsley to garnish optional
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/8 tsp paprika
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cooked pasta according to package directions minus 3 minutes, drain and set aside.
In a large saucepan melt butter. Pour in flour and whisk until a crumble mixture forms. Slowly pour in chicken stock, milk, garlic salt, garlic pepper, and onion powder. Whisk to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes until thickens.
Add in noodles, shredded chicken, and mushrooms. Mix to combine and pour into a prepared casserole dish (8x11) and top with cheese. Cook covered with foil for 20 minutes. While cooking make topping. Melt butter and add in panko crumbs and paprika and mix to combine. Uncover casserole and top with panko mixture and cook 10 more minutes until cheese is hot and bubbling. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
Cook noodles 3 minutes less than required time to prevent noodles from getting mushy after cooking.