Sweet and Spicy Buffalo Wings with Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce and Bacon
Sweet and Spicy Buffalo Wings with Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce will be the perfect appetizer for the fall football season. Sweet and savory with a delicious creamy sauce wins the game every time.
Ok, I am going to blow the whistle on this one! These Sweet and Spicy Buffalo Wings with Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce are over the top addicting. I mean they have got the flavor play down. Made with a little kick and a little sweet each bite is a knockout. Then adding the Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce on top or on the side to dip them in is a touchdown. You will be the the player of the party when arriving with these Sweet and Spicy Buffalo Wings with Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce.
We all have had buffalo wings at some point or another, but as good as they are why not up your game and make them even better. Adding the sweet to them not only makes them delicious, but it makes them ooey and gooey and so good right out of the oven. And once you top them off with some homemade creamy blue cheese sauce, bacon, and blue cheese crumbles you have just turned into a super hero. Seriously the bacon is ridiculously good. It adds a little crunch and salty flavor and the fresh blue cheese crumbles give a little tartness that works perfect with all the other flavors going on in each and every bite. Sweet and Spicy Buffalo Wings with Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce are a perfect skillet appetizer too. No need to transfer from baking dish, to baking sheet, just put them in the skillet and let the magic happen.
Sweet and Spicy Buffalo Chicken Wings with Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce and Bacon are kind of like nachos, the more you add to them the better they become. So if you want to keep them simple go ahead, but adding amazing toppings like cream blue cheese sauce, bacon, green onion and sesame seeds give these wings the ability to fly right off your plate.
- 3 pounds party chicken wings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- For the sauce:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- For The Toppings:
- 3 green onions sliced
- 4 pieces of thick bacon, cooked and diced
- Blue cheese crumbles to taste
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, for garnish
- Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce: blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon milk or buttermilk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F). Dry the chicken wings thoroughly with paper towels, pressing down hard to remove as much excess moisture as possible.
- Place the chicken wings in a large bowl; set aside. In a small bowl combine the melted butter, sesame oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Pour this mixture over the wings and toss well to coat.
- Spread the wings in a single layer into cast iron skillet
- Bake the wings until browned and crisp; 50-55 minutes, using tongues to flip them over halfway.
- While the wings are baking, make the sauce: Melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat. Once it’s melted, add the crushed red pepper and ginger; cook for a minute, then add in the honey, Sriracha, soy sauce, lime juice, and vinegar. Bring the mixture to light boil, stirring constantly, then stir in the cornstarch; cook just until thickened up – about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- When the wings have finished baking, carefully remove the skillet from the oven and set aside. Increase the oven temperature to the broiler setting and place the wings into a large glass bowl.
- Pour the warm sauce over the wings and gently toss to coat, then transfer the wings back to the skillet and place in the oven for 4-5 minutes to broil.
- Carefully remove wings from the oven and transfer them to a large serving platter and top with creamy blue cheese sauce, bacon crumbles, blue cheese crumbles, green onion, and sesame seeds.
- Place Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce on the side for dipping if desired.