Tex Mex Bean Soup
Tex Mex Bean Soup has all the attitude of a chili, hot and spicy, loaded with cheese and severed with warm tortillas and crunchy fritos. Every bite will be loved and every bowl will be emptied.
Tex Mex Bean Soup
Tex Mex Bean Soup is loaded with all the flavors of a hearty chili, but is lighter than a chili. This Bean Soup is one I love to make because you can add so many elements to it, but still have that same amazing base of flavors. You can add ground beef, sausage, or chicken. Different types of beans and green chilis however you choose to make it your own or leave it just like this, you are going to love it. Plus how can you go wrong when Fritos are added on top and lots of shredded cheese!
I think making soup is one of my favorite things to because you can add ingredients to it your family enjoys and serve it for lunch or dinner. You could even grill up some chicken, slice it and serve it with the tortillas and use the Tex Mex Bean Soup as a warm salsa on top or just enjoy dipping some tortilla chips in it. This Bean Soup is really delicious and easy to make and will be great for you and your family.
How do you make Bean Soup?
This Tex Mex Bean Soup is very easy to make.
- Make rice in a rice cooker, on the stove top or boil in a bag to get it made quickly.
- place oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the chopped onions and garlic. Cook stirring frequently until onions are translucent about 4 minutes.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper, diced tomatoes with green chilis, ancho chilis in adobe sauce, black beans, pinto beans, frozen corn, and 4 cups chicken stock to the pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of the bean mixture with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl and mash up the mixture and place back in the soup.
- Add in the cooked white rice, cheese, and cilantro. Mix and let simmer about 5 more minutes.
- Serve with warmed tortillas, tortilla chips, and or Fritos.
- Garnish with more cilantro and shredded cheddar cheese.
Tips for making Tex Mex Bean Soup:
- Make sure to drain your beans before putting them in the soup, you won’t need the liquid from them.
- Can you use dry beans rather than canned beans? Yes. Make sure to soak your dry beans over night in water before putting them in the soup.
- Adding sour cream to the bean soup just before serving will give it a creamier consistency and taste delicious.
- Serve with warm tortillas or tortilla chips for dipping in the soup. We like adding Fritos to ours for a little something different.
- You can also add chicken or ground beef to the soup for a little added protein. I would cook the ground beef with your onion and garlic to start and then add the rest of the ingredients.
Looking for more Soup ideas?
- Creamy Tortellini and Spinach Soup
- Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Best Hamburger Soup
Tex Mex Bean Soup
Tex Mex Bean Soup is a hearty meal that has bold flavor and is ready in under 30 minutes.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, coarsely chopped
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup corn, frozen or fresh
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1-1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, plus more for garnishing
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. Add in the cumin, tomatoes, pinto beans, black beans, corn, chipotle peppers, and chicken or vegetable stock. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove 1 cup of bean mixture with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl. Using a fork, mash up the mixture and then return it to the soup. Add in the rice, cheese, and cilantro, stir to combined and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with warm tortillas, tortilla chip and or Fritos and garnish with more cheese and cilantro.